Friday, February 10, 2012

Falling Under

Title: Falling Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Release: March 1, 2011
Synopsis:


Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.






**small spoiler alert**


Review:

I can honestly say that I didn't get into this book very well. It was a bit out of my taste. I mean, I usually like Paranormal Romances, but this one was over dramatic. I'm not saying it was horrible, because it was anything but that, it was just very repetitive in the plot/theme. The whole book was she likes him, he likes her, he pretends to not be interested while trying to make her jealous. It was a circle without a visible ending other than the back cover. The only parts that were a break from the circle were the "dreams" that Theia had about Haden. Those are creepy and romantic in a run-from-the-demon kind of way. Despite the circling plot line, this author  has good descriptive qualities (I think that's the phrase I'm looking for) anyway, when she explains the dreams, the details are exquisite. That's the only word that really fits. The way she explained the skeletal people dancing and the sound of their bare bones grinding was easy to imagine. The whole settings in the dreams are dark and slightly ominous, at least at first, and it's interesting how well the author captured that. Another thing she was able to capture in her writing was the music. Be it from the dreams or from Theia's violin, it could almost here it in my head. On a totally unrelated note, for some reason, these paranormal romantic tragedies make me cry because of, well, a tragedy happens.
Now, on to characters...
Theia is a seriously sheltered child. And i'm talking seriously sheltered. Her dad pays people to buy her clothing, decorate her room, pack her lunch and cook her food and he decided that she should take violin lessons and only play classical music. I could go on and on, but I was focusing on Theia...Anyway, it's no wonder she was becoming sort of rebel. Theia is shy, very much so, only her close friends and Haden really get her to come out of her shell.
speaking of the almost devil...
Haden is pretty creepy for the majority of the book, by that I really mean the beginning. He pushes back his feelings because where he comes from, there isn't any good emotion. He's a jerk, just so you know, and, in my opinion, he's the reason for the endless circle I keep referring to. That may have something to do with the fact that the's a demon... His more positive characteristics are his determination and courage that shines mostly in the end.
Donny (she's a girl!) is the reckless one out of Theia's trio of besties. She convinces them to try different things (like sneaking out) and she's not afraid to speak her mind. What I noticed about her character is she's afraid of getting hurt so she uses blunt rudeness as a defense mechanism.
The last character I'll talk about is Amelia, mostly because some of  the other major ones come near the end. Amelia is the kind of girl who can't see how pretty she is, even when others tell her so. She is a vegetarian and peace-lover who can kick major butt at Call Of Duty. She's as shy as Theia unless a topic she's passionate about (fortune telling) comes up but she's not sheltered. She's also a rainbow goth...if that makes sense.
Finally, like I said, I wasn't really into the book...at least, not till the end. At the end I was sort of in the middle as far as interest goes. There was a twist after the initial action in the book that caught more of my attention. Up is down. The only way anyone could have saw that coming is if they were a) psychic or b) the author...but even then, I think she might have been surprised at the stories turn. Or, on the other hand, she was probably laughing manically. Anyway, as I continued to the end, I was glued. I needed to know what would happen next. I'm not joking when I say that I couldn't sleep without finding out first. Now that I think about it, it was the characters that kept me, too. I sort of fell in love with them and their story slowly, even if it didn't appeal to me in the beginning. Now, I want to see if the author can make the story thrive more, since the endless I-love-you-now-I-don't circle has subsided. Either way, I'll finish the series because if I don't, I know it'll bug me for the rest of my life, whispering, "What happens next?" in my ear. So, I don't regret picking up this book, and I doubt that a lot of people feel different.
The book deserves a C because all though it was a circle throughout most of the book, I think it has potential. Recommended to those of you who can't get enough of paranormal romances and/or the Twilight kind books (and I don't mean that in a bad way). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...