Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

Title: The Dark Divine
Author: Bree Despain (her website)
Release: December 22, 2009
Synopis:

A prodigal son
A dangerous love
A deadly secret ...


I stood back and watched his movements. Daniel had that way about him that could shut me down in an instant. . . . I kicked the gravel a couple of times and worked up my courage again. “Tell me . . . I mean . . . why did you come back? Why now, after all this time?”


Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared—the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in blood. But she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night really held. And when Daniel returns three years later, Grace can no longer deny her attraction to him, despite promising Jude she’ll stay away.

As Grace gets closer to Daniel, her actions stir the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind Jude and Daniel's dark secret . . . and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it—her soul.



Review:


A friend of mine had recommended this book to me, she said she loved it so I picked it up from the library. And to be honest, at first, I didn't love it. I mean, I liked it and it was pretty good, I just thought the beginning was too slow. Not a lot really happened and the stuff that did weren't as huge as I hoped.
But, I think the slow start was just to build the foundation of the book, you know, the "rising action" that builds up to the climax of the story. Once that was settled, things got good! My favorite parts of this book had to be between the middle and the end. I literally stayed up till three in the morning just to finish it. I loved the ending so much and the twists were just sort of mind blowing. 
As far as characters go, Grace was a good protagonist, very independent, kind of bossy, and willing to do anything for the one's she loves. And then she has Daniel who she is just confused about. But I absolutely loved Daniel. Hot, mysterious and definitively the bad boy type, what's not to love? And his creative side is a huge plus :D Some characters, though, i didn't like much. Jude, for one, started out like a good character, smart, nice, caring and sweet, but as the book goes on, he changes for the worse. When Daniel returns he lets his hate rule his life. I don't want to put out any spoilers so I'll leave figuring out why he hates him to you :) The mom was another one. Yes, she's very nice and motherly, most of the time, but there are times where she acts like just so... so... controll freak-ish when things went wrong she tried to ignore then like they would just leave. And if that were the case, i think we'd all ignore a lot of things....I thought April was a good friend for Grace, though, and I liked her character. But I really didn't like Gossip Queen Lynn...
Anyway, i think i should start a rating system on books because I'd give this a solid Pi (3.14.... that was a joke, it's okay to laugh). But seriously, I would give it something between a three and four out of five, just for the ending alone. It was an overall good book and I definitively can't wait to read the next! The Lost Sailor, here I come!


At least, I will, once I finish the other fifty books I have in line to read. O_o

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...