Friday, August 5, 2011

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand (her website)
Release: January 4, 2011
Synopsis:

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has apurpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

Review: 
Whew! Now that I finally managed to scrape up some time, here is the review for Unearthly :D 
**I just read over this and decided that there may be some possible spoilers! So look out! They aren't huge bu I just thought I'd add it in to warn everyone. 


I for one love angel books. Something about them never gets old, there is always some twist, something different to add or discover every time you read a new one.  Every author has something new brewing in their mind ready to set on paper (and I guess that goes for every kind of book, not just angel ones). This one didn't disapoint. Unearthly is a book that keeps you reading until the AM. It's about destiny, love and choices (always choice, right?) and it's brilliant! Your pulled in from the first chapter and hanging on till the end. The plot wasn't nesicarily original but the way the author went about it was.
To be honest, though, I wish certain parts of the book didn't move by so quickly. I felt as if it skipped a lot of time during some of the breaks in and between chapters. I mean, the whole story is there, but the way it moves along is my only qualm (if that's the right word...). 
Anyway, as far as characters go, Clara is a really good protagonist. Even with her insecurities and all the things she is unsure of, she stands tall and strong. Sure, she has a coupple of stumbles (may they be litteral or not) but she worked her way through them.
Christian is the look-but-don't-touch kind of guy. Not necessarily mysterious like so many other guys in YA novels (coughPATCHcough) but either way he's an awesome character. Well, besides the fact that he's in love with Kay. ): I was wondering if Clara and him were or weren't going to end up together the entire book.
Wendy is a great friend to Clara, sweet and loyal like a friend should be. And Angela is a the same in her own way and for different reasons that you can discover :) Jeffery is funny and cool, as far as little siblings go, but he, like his sister, goes through some difficult things he has to understand. I hope that in the next book, we'll get more from him so we can unravel some of the mysterious things about him.
Moving on to Tucker... yes, at the beginning he is a jerk but I think he's just awesome! He's not like Christian and his whole god status but he's a fantastic character in his own way. And he's actually really sweet. 
Okay, I'm trying really hard not to post spoilers so I'm moving on, again...
Since I am still working an the rating system, I can't really rate this on a one to five scale. But for now I'll say this: great book, great characters, great plot, and a great author. I can't wait for the sequel which, as I read, will be called Hallowed and will be available January of 2012. 
Adding to my look-out-for list :P
*** Okay i just remembered (again) something I wanted to say in the review! 
The book has twists and things that have you guessing what will happen. There are surprises that you might subconsciously guess but you don't believe it till you read it :) And most of us love surprises, right? It keeps the book entertaining. 
My favorite parts had to be near the end, though, so much happened and I nearly cried at some point. Truly a wonderful story!
I think I'm done with the edits now :D

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Awesome review! THIS is one of my all time faves =D <3333

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review, as usual! I'm happy to read you loved the book because I haven't always been impressed with angel books in the past. I love Clara from your description. Looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...