Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

Title: Eyes Like Stars
Author: Lisa Mantchev (Her Website)
Release: July 7, 2009
Synopsis:


Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the characters of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book--an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Beatrice Shakespeare Smith is not one of them, but they are her family--and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.

**small spoiler alert, it's not anything huge but I just thought I would warn you :) **


Review:


I've never read anything like it! This book is very unique despite the use of classical and well known characters. The author proves that she put a lot talent and imagination and work into this story. The way she was able to represent and capture the older characters from some of Shakespeare's classics and others is fascinating! And even though Bertie is a new and original character she seems to fit right in with the others even if she does stand out a bit. The plot line was really good,too. There were twists and turns, dramatic scenes and of course romance. It's hard to believe it started out as a short story, I mean, I can't imagine it without some of the scenes. It would be like ripping the book in half, literally.
Most of the time, I can tell I like a book when I read a part and want to skip to the end just to find out what will happen! And this book made me want to skim and skip to discover if Bertie had to leave the theater and especially to discover what would happen to Nate. Though, of course, I won't tell you what happened to him in the first place to make me wonder what would happen to him... is anyone else confused by that sentence?
Anyway, Bertie was a wonderful protagonist. I loved every send of her story even if she wasn't the one telling it. She's powerful in more ways than one, she is a little headstrong at points but she's independent and cares for those around her. And true, she's a trouble maker but she is also very authoritative, too. And, like everyone, she has her issues; one being her attitude and prone to making trouble, another would be her abandonment ones.
Now, Nate. Though he might have one line in The Little Mermaid, he plays a big role in Eyes Like Stars. He's at Bertie's side whenever he can be, and he's a good friend. Plus, let's face it, he's in love with Bertie, and, even as he tries to hide it, he wants her safe from any kind of harm. He's a sweetheart with a pirate mouth and a pirate temper. 
The fairies, Peaseblossom, Cobweb, Moth, and Mustardseed, are just hilarious, there's a chance they could all give Puck from Julie Kawaga's Iron King a run for his money ;) They are ambitious, rambunctious and always getting into trouble, but, dispute their wild nature, they are Bertie's best friends. 
I don't have time to bore you will all the characters, though none are truly boring, so I saved my favorite for last.
ARIEL.
No, he isn't the mermaid from The Little Mermaid... and yes, I said he. He is "an airy spirit from the Tempest". I'm putting it out there right now, I have never read or watched any of Shakespeare plays (Yes, that includes Romeo and Juliet). So I only know of his characters from when they sneak across the pages of other books (Puck).  Anyway, I thought Ariel was a girl, till I saw a line referring to him as a he... He's very interesting, sly, and mysterious. And probably a whole bunch of other things (desperate for escape included) but I love his character, even in the beginning, and apparently Bertie does too...
Well then, as I say in nearly every review: I am forcing myself to stop before I give anymore spoilers. And let's face it, this is a review, not a book report, I'll save the latter for my English teacher.
And I'll end as I usually do, great book, but I my love for it came out near the end. Recommended for theater fanatics everywhere, and anyone who likes funny fairies and handsome pirates. 
I've been searching online for the sequel and i found it Prechance to Dream and then the end to the trilogy is So Silver Bright, which comes out next month! And, I need to remember to work on that rating system, I keep forgetting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...