Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Title: Angelfire
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton (her website)
Release: February 15, 2011
Synopsis:
First there are nightmares.
Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her. 

Then come the memories. 
When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream. 

Now she must hunt. 
Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.

Review:

All I can say is that I was captivated before the end of the first chapter. This book had so many amazing qualities that it's probably impossible to name them all. The action, the romance, the non-romance, and the whole reincarnation thing are just a few of them. The entire plot of the book was really well played out, not to fast, not to slow and the story was so amazing. There were a lot of original ideas in this book that the author brought. The alternate dimension where the reapers prowl get's pretty confusion and at points I'd be reading a little to fast and I wouldn't realize that a fight was in the Grim and not the human dimension... if you haven't read the book what I said may have confused  you. Bottom line, don't skim or else you'll miss a lot. Anyway, I also think that the flashbacks were a nice touch to add to the whole reincarnation thing.
To start off the characters, there's the main one, Ellie. Overall, she is a great heroine. I see her as kind and independent in a selectively stubborn way. She is also very powerful and can kick some serious butt. Although, like everyone, she has some flaws. Lack of knowledge about herself and her past lives cause her to be confused about many things that she should already know. What I appreciate most about her character is the way she accepts what she is and does quickly, minus her small this-is-just-a-dream phase. I swear, if it were me, I'd be running screaming in the opposite direction if I was faced with a reaper (mostly because I don't have swords...) It's refreshing to have a heroine who literally jumps straight into the action instead of trying to ignore it.
Moving on to my favorite character,Will. Ironically enough, his name means desire and protection, which fits him perfectly since he had been Ellie's Guardian for the last several hundred years. Speaking of which...I think one of my favorite parts is the flashback of when Ellie and Will first met...mostly because he has a seriously awesome accent in that part. Anyway, Will is just the kind of guy you imagine saving people from burning buildings. Strong, fast, with a burning need to do good and protect everyone. Which is why I think Ellie was drawn to him...
Like practically every book, there is a villain. The general version of the villains in this book are the Reapers. Hideously evil with a taste for blood, they are little pieces of hell on earth. The eat the flesh and take the souls of humans. The more specific version of the villains would be Ragnuk, Geir, Ivar, and the over all most infamous one...Bastian.
All of them are more or less out to end Ellie. But I won't get into to much detail so you'll have to find out more on your own.
Now, the ending, I had mixed feelings about. The way they dealt with the Enshi (again read the book to find out what that is, I'm trying to avoid spoilers here) seemed a little too easy, if you know what I mean. The answer seemed a little bit too obvious. Beside after the whole book, I expected something a tad bit more creative. But, I can't imagine that part happening in any other way so it's all good.
The most powerful moments of the book weren't when she was fighting reapers or hanging with Will, it was the last few pages. The revelation Ellie had about herself and her being the Preliator made me smile and think "She's baaack" in a totaly creeptastic voice. Just kidding. But seriously, it was a very powerful part of the book and it make me eager to read some more of Courtney Allison Moulton's writing.
Filled with action and romance, Angelfire is a fantastic book that had me captured from the first chapter. It's an action packed, sword swinging, romance building book that deserves the rating on an A from this reviewer.  I loved every moment of this book and I hope the sequel will be just as brilliant, not that I'd really have any doubts at this point. Recommended to paranormal, action, and semi-romance lovers of nearly all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...